Ingredients:- 1 large, green plantain (as large as you can find)
- Vegetable oil sufficient to fry the plantains
- Salt to taste
Directions:1. Remove the skin from the plaintain. Keep in mind that it is green, so, the skin does not come off as easily as if it were ripe (see next step).
2. To remove the skin from the plantain, chop both ends off and using a sharp knife make two or three slits (penetrating the skin) the length of the plantain. Insert a butter knife into the slits and pry skin off. Trim off any remaining fibers so you end up with a clean plantain ready for this recipe.
3. Cut plantain into 1 inch rounds. If possible, make the cut in sort of a diagnal fashion.
4. In a deep frying pan, bring vegetable oil to a hot state (ready to fry upon impact). Remember, you are deep frying these, so, you must have sufficient oil.
5. Fry plantian rounds for two minutes or until they turn golden yellow (if the oil is as hot as it needs to be, this should not take more than two or three minutes).
6. Remove plantains from frying pan with a slotted spachula so that the oil drains out of them upon removal. The first time you do this, you may consider turning off the oil while you finish the next step.
7. Allow plantain rounds to cool for a few minutes so that you do not burn yourself.
8. With a heavy flat object (such as a bean can or small frying pan) flaten plantain rounds. Be careful not to overdue it, since you don't want them to become stuck to the object.
9. Once flattened, return the plantains to the frying pan for two or three more minutes until crisp and golden brown. If you had turned off the oil after step 6, make sure it is hot enough again before placing plantains back in the fryer. Otherwise, they will become soaked with oil and uneatable.
10. Remove fried plantains to a flat plat and sprinkle them with salt to taste.
Add plantains for additional servings
Be careful when choosing the plantain for this recipe. It must be green. If the plaintain is yellow (ripe), this recipe will NOT work.
Make sure the oil is very hot for steps 5 and 9 so that plantains fry on impact. Otherwise, they will absorb oil and become uneatable.
This recipe will seem complex at first, but after you try it several times, you will do it in your sleep!