Ingredients:- 3 1/2 cups of water
- 1 tablespoon of salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 3 cups of long grain or extra long grain white rice
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro (or more if desired)
- 1/2 cup of chopped green (long stem) onions
- Although not an ingredient, you will need a cooking pan with a cover
Directions:1. Add water, salt, cilantro, onions and oil to your cooking pan
2. Turn your stove to high and bring water to a boil
3. Add rice and keep your stove on high (with the cover off)
4. Allow rice and water to boil until water evaporates
5. Cover rice and turn your stove to low heat
6. Leave covered for 25 minutes at low heat. Uncover rice and move it around so that the rice that was at the bottom of the pan is now at the top.
7. Cover rice again for another 20 minutes
8. Rice is ready to serve!
If you don't follow these instructions to the letter, your rice will turn out sticky, rather than loose and grainy. For example, you must not put your raw rice into the cooking pan until the water is boiling, otherwise, it will absorb water while it waits for the water to boil.
Moving the rice around in step 6 allows your three cups of rice to cook more evenly
This recipe does NOT work with short grain rice. There is a different water ratio for that type of rice
Category: Main Courses